Much Needed Rest

Day 5- August 11, 2015

Morning came far too quickly. Ben woke me up by tugging on the hammock strings. As soon as I opened my eyes, I realized there was far too much sunlight. I was definitely late for a boat. Four minutes later I was packed, power walking down the hill. Enilda invited me over for breakfast but I had to wave her a thanks and keep going. Ben promised to say bye to her for me. I made it to the river just in time to catch a boat. I hopped in and we set off downstream, hoping to catch the chiva to Metetí.

Meanwhile, I was more tired than I had been when I went to sleep the night before. My head hurt again, and when we all piled into the chiva and took off down the windy rural highway I quickly started feeling nauseous. Crap.

The culprit was probably doing too much too soon from my strep- I was still on antibiotics and I had spent the entire day previously working in the sun. Dehydration and exhaustion- those were simple enough fixes. We were in Metetí by 8AM so I went straight to the Volunteer house where I drank a lot of water and prepared for a nap. My chiva to Playona runs until 3PM, so I could sleep all morning and go in the afternoon. I rinsed off in a cold shower then curled up on a mattress in front of a fan.

I woke up in the dark, at 7PM.

"Well, that happened. It's not even worth getting upset about because there's nothing I can do to fix it. I can't go anywhere now that it's dark. I'll just call my chiva driver, ask him to pick me up first thing in the morning and then I'll go get dinner from the chicken man up the street," I shared my plans with the house cat. She silently approved.

After a phone call, some food, antibiotics, and another shower, I was asleep again by 9PM.


Today I am grateful for a quiet place to sleep!
(And the cat's approval)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#thirdworldproblems

"...Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

$omething They Forgot to Mention...