False Start

Day 1: August 7, 2015

3 sets of metal bunk beds creak and groan as their inhabitants come to life and start preparing to face the day. Wait- maybe those groans are coming from me. Yup. Oh, man. My head is pounding like a cheap wine hangover, but I didn’t drink last night. This isn’t fair. I swallow and immediately regret it. My face twists up like a toddler getting ready for a tantrum. NOT FAIR.

Today was supposed to be the start of my post-Peace Corps life. Today was supposed to be the first day of the greatest adventure of all time. Today is the start of a new chapter, a whole new era in my life.

Today, I have a fever.

Sitting at breakfast, eating scratchy toast that feels like a chainsaw in my esophagus, I admit something must be done. I can’t start backpacking like this. I call the Peace Corps Medical Officer and they reassure me that I am still officially a Volunteer until midnight; therefore, they can still prescribe me medicine.

Two hours later with a brown paper bag full of antibiotics and painkillers for strep throat, I meet my travel buddy Ben in the food court of the bus terminal. “I’m supposed to sleep for 48 hours,” I tell him sadly. He nods, pulls out his calendar of our trip itinerary and stares at it for a minute. Then he shrugs and says, “well, it’s not like we can’t change the plan!”


Thus our original plan was tossed even before we started. We discuss a few different options, depending on how long I need to feel better. Feeling relieved sleep is my primary job for the next few days, I catch an early afternoon bus back to the hostel for a nap. I won’t wake up until dinnertime, which will consist of red, purple, and orange popsicles. Then more sleep.


Today I am grateful to still be a PCV with access to medical care!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#thirdworldproblems

"...Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

$omething They Forgot to Mention...