A Moment of Thanks


(this is the post of thanksgiving)

 

As Volunteers, we like to rant and complain about our frustrations and challenges, and like any other job, this often times overshadows the things we love about our service. The following are the top 30 things that make me happy and that I am thankful for every single day of my service.

 

1. Playing with my host brothers and the other kids in site

2. Drinkable water, especially if it is cold

3. Phone calls

4. Spices

5. Sitting down to poop

6. Re-reading 6 month old letters from friends and family

7. Hammocks

8. A breeze or a fan

9. Getting emails from people other than my higher ups, my credit cards, or Best Buy

10. Having my own hut

11. Chocolate in any form (doesn’t matter if all the M&Ms have melted together!)

12. Not being sick

13. Guys that look and smell clean, and are taller than me! (and do not catcall me!)

14. My mosquito net

15. VEGETABLES

16. Jumping in the cold river at the hottest part of the day

17. Hugs

18. Watching kids learn things and knowing I had something to do with it

19. Being introduced to outsiders in the community as a 'djabawera'

20. Having a full battery on my phone

21. The cozy feeling candlelight gives my hut at night

22. Peanut butter

23. Watching a movie in English

24. Having community members excited about latrines

25. Getting a "nice" bus out of the Darien

26. Feeling clean

27. Having mail

28. A sincere compliment that isn't a catcsll or pickup line

29. My fellow Volunteers, especially G71. They are amazing, talented, tough, and enthusiastic. We may be hours apart and totally isolated, but we are always there for each other, in the struggles and the celebrations. They know when to give me a hug and when to tell me to suck it up. They have taught me so much about water systems and how to stave off boredom.They throw the best spontaneous sing along dance parties and are always game for a crazy adventure..or 6. There are no words to express how grateful I am for their support.

30. My family and friends back home. When I chose to serve in the Peace Corps, I volunteered to make a lot of sacrifices, but they had to make a lot of sacrifices too that they did not ask for. I am grateful for their love and support, their phone calls and care packages, their stories and their encouragement. I love and miss them all, and I thank God for having them every day.

 

Happy Thanksgiving!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#thirdworldproblems

"...Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

$omething They Forgot to Mention...