Moving to the Jungle

Tomorrow is the big day, the day we head out to the community entry conference, meet our counterparts, and oh yea, GO TO OUR NEW SITES!!!


I posted this all over the facebook and email, so for friends and family there, this is old news, but I will be moving to the Comarca Embera-Wounaan!!! The northern region, called Cemaco. (There's a southern reservation of Embera-Wounann as well) My community has about 270 people, or 65 homes. There is no electricity, no aqueduct, and few latrines. The current vlunteer there is starting a pilot project for composting latrines since the pit latrines are disgusting and problematic due to the really high water level below ground. It is on a river and the people live in huts on stilts (called tambos). The community has a problem with howler monkeys like american cities have problems with squirrels and pigeons, so I'm told. We'll see what all of this information means very, very soon.


I am excited. I am terrified. I have never been to the eastern half of the country before and this week I will be visiting my new home for the next two years. WHOA. I am definitely ready for this, it has been a long time coming.


Ready, get set, here we (almost) go.


But first, I must pack. Oof.


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#thirdworldproblems

"...Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

$omething They Forgot to Mention...