Where in the World is Darien?


"This one here is India, and it has the most people in the world," 16 year old Ediberto told 20 year old Ramiro, "Even though it is smaller than Russia and China,"16-year-old Gelido chimed in. "Actually Antartica is the biggest, but it isn't a country," 16 year old Dionel added. I had been mixing paint but froze when I heard their conversation. I couldn't stop grinning.

 

It is moments like that- tiny, anticlimactic moments that you could easily miss if you weren't paying attention, that make my job so awesome. To someone living outside of the Comarca, the conversation being had probably seems mundane and unremarkable, except maybe to scoff at the 20 something who didn't know where India was. Let me fill you in on the miracle here.

 

On July 1st, I sat down with a blank world map on a piece of paper and asked the 5 16-year-old seventh grade boys to show which one was Panama. They pointed to Russia. Over the course of a month, we spent our afternoons together at the school, painstaking bringing a large world map mural to life. One boy dropped out of the project after the third day, but the other four were there in the scorching sun and pouring rain to the end. One day the bugs were so bad I was wearing my pants taped to my socks and bundled up in a hoodie to keep out the morongoi. I expected the boys to want to quit early, because I certainly did, but they talked me into continuing, reminding me just how close we were to finishing.

 

To take this map from a piece of paper to a 6'x12' mural took about 45 hours of work. First we did the math together to figure out how big to make the rectangle, then we painted the ocean. We sat down one day and I taught them how to draw from a grid and practiced doing that on paper for different parts of different continents. We colored a key out of the small grid but my list of which color goes to which country was only in English, so we practiced our English too. We made a grid on our ocean of nearly 1,600 two inch squares, and then drew out every country. Every time I found a missing tiny island or country, I jokingly yelled about how upset those people would be if they found out they were forgotten. By the time I checked the islands for Antartica, Dionel was ready for me. When I told him he had a couple islands missing he replied, "Yea but nobody lives there!" We painted all the red countries, the white ones, the yellow, pink, blue, green, orange, and ligt green countries. To mix the colors we talked about the color wheel and what colors mix to make what. When we tried to mix purple and failed the 5th time, we decided to mix teal instead. Finally we labeled each country, territory, island, and large body of water.

 

I am no expert on social studies, and living in the jungle I am definitely out of touch with world news. I admit that in the 30 minutes a week average I spend with the internet, about 26 of those minutes go towards Facebook and Gmail, while the other 4 go to whatshouldpcvscallme or my blog. Regardless, the boys and I talk about global issues, on an incredibly superficial level. I ask them if they have heard of a country, if so, why they have heard of it, and then more than likely, try to undo their knowledge. For example, when I said Pakistan. They said it was full of bad people who wanted lots of war, and that Osama bin Laden was from there. It feels a lot more like doing damage control than educating, but it is something.

 

Harrison, Gelido, Edilberto, and Dionel not only stuck it out to the end, they made the map their own by spending all 4 hours of the last day- which I had allotted for an hour of work and the rest of it eating cookies and soda celebrating the end of the project- taking rulers to make this edge straight, going over this line, double checking the spelling on this country. When I presented them their certificates they gave them back, asking me if we could paint something else. I told them to keep the certificates but that Monday at 2pm I would be there and if they showed up we could start planning our next project.

 
I am currently trying to get the head of the community to give me permission to paint the map of the Darien on the outside wall of his office. Vamos a ver.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#thirdworldproblems

"...Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

$omething They Forgot to Mention...