Nailing Pancakes to Trees

There's a 'jungle legend' out here in the Darien that a PCV once went crazy. After several days of not being able to get in touch with this Volunteer, the PC office sent someone out to their site to check on them. The missing PCV was found in site, cool as a cucumber, busy nailing pancakes to trees because it needed to be done. So now it is not uncommon to hear one West side PCV warn us Darienitas, 'don't nail pancakes to trees!'


I am coming close to nailing pancakes to trees. I have been living with host families for the last 5 months and on Monday, I get to move into my own hut. And not a moment too soon. I love my host family. I love my community. I love Panama. But I REALLY need to have my own space. To choose when I eat and how much I eat and whether I eat rice or platano. To choose when I go to sleep and when I get up and to not have to tell my mom where I am going every time I have to use the latrine. It will be amazing. 72 hours and counting.


I wonder how many trees I could pancake in that amount of time...


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

Comments

  1. That is the funniest damn thing I have read in a long time. Although I'm sure life in the Darien is no picnic, in the event you wanted to have one you wouldn't need a basket. Just start taking pancakes off trees.

    All kidding aside, we are very proud of all PCV's, but especially those serving in the Darien.

    Let us know if you ever need nails or batter.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#thirdworldproblems

"...Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

$omething They Forgot to Mention...