Is This Real Life?

I'm currently 5 weeks away from staging and I am starting to think that this Panama thing might be legit-for-realsies. I mean, I have already said half a dozen 'see you in forever' goodbyes, bought a tablet for this adventure, (samsung galaxy tab 10.1) and am desperately counting down until I get to put in my 2 weeks notice at work. (10 days!!!)

I have faxed my Yellow Fever Vaccine paperwork in, started my home stay and language assessments, and the APCD interview. Basically, all of that is just a bunch of paperwork with essay-like questions asking, 'why did you accept the invitation?' and trying to get a rough idea of where I am at with my Spanish.

Speaking of Spanish, my Conversations class is great. We took our first test on Thursday and it went really well. We are basically learning about the history of Spain, and having discussions over related themes, in Spanish. I love it, and am doing really well. Spanish still gets me into trouble sometimes though, particularly when I am talking with native speakers at work. Oh well, gotta have a sense of humor about it!

I can count on one hand the number of weeks I have left in the United States. Whoa. This is going to happen.

In other news, I am following the happenings in Mali pretty closely, and am praying for the safety of the PCV's there, and the invitees hoping that their invitation remains viable. Knowing what it feels like to get a program cancelled due to security issues in the country, I really hope that their training programs come through and that they are able to serve, and that the current volunteers in Mali are able to finish their terms of service. Assuming, of course, that this can all happen without compromising the safety of the volunteers. I also learned a LOT about Mali in a very short period of time when I almost chose to go there and hope for the country's sake they can come to a peaceful agreement.

On a more selfish note, I am incredibly grateful that my gut finally led me to pick Panama. If I had to go through the Honduras situation again with Mali, and be delayed again for god-knows-how-long, I don't know if I could do it.

36 days until Panama. That's so awesome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#thirdworldproblems

"...Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

$omething They Forgot to Mention...